Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 15:44:08 -0700
From: Matthew Fernandez <matthew.fernandez@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Perl's HTTP::Tiny has insecure TLS cert default,
 affecting CPAN.pm and other modules

On 4/20/23 14:26, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
> Jeffrey Walton wrote in
>   <CAH8yC8nYOGAsnPkm+f3-b7r4PvZ=QxeKT9DXK=MoFVoFDGav9w@...l.gmail.com>:
>   |On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 9:05 AM Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@...oden.eu> \
>   |wrote:
>   |I don't think HTTPS discriminates against servers with self-signed
>   |certificates. A user is free to limit trust to a single, self-signed
>   |certificate. The docs show the user how to do it.
>
> That seems very, very complicated for non-nerds.
> I fail to see user-enabled documentation for how to achieve this,
> but i am only using command line / console programs, it can be the
> desktop environments make this easy.

I hesitate to reply to this thread because I struggle to understand what
topic it has diverged into, but I just wanted to note that embedded
browsers configured to accept a single self-signed certificate are not
uncommon in corporate environments. Thus a (non-technical) end user may
be using a browser like this that has been configured for them by device
management. Whether this is a good design/idea, I leave to others’
judgement.