Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 13:26:37 -0400
From: Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: OpenSSL X.509 Email Address 4-byte Buffer
 Overflow (CVE-2022-3602), X.509 Email Address Variable Length Buffer Overflow (CVE-2022-3786)

The distinction I'd make is that Rust's behavior is guaranteed, while
the factors in C leading to a buffer overflow being unexploitable are
contingent. Users compiling without -fstack-protector-strong, precise
allocation patterns or stack layout patterns, etc all impact whether a
C buffer overflow is exploitable or not.

It's telling that OpenSSL originally understood this to be a CRITICAL
severity, but only after analysis and feedback from many other folks
were they confident enough to lower it a HIGH severity -- in Rust one
would know right off that bat that it was definitely a DoS at worst.

And of course, many buffer overflows never get the deep expert
analysis required to establish if they're exploitable or not -- I
don't need to tell you that the P0 blog is full of exploits of 1-byte
buffer overflows that many people wrote off as "no way that can be
exploited" :-)

Alex

--
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing.