Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 16:58:57 -0700
From: "Philipp Jeitner (SIT)" <philipp.jeitner@....fraunhofer.de>
To: <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Multiple DNS Cache poisoning vulnerabilities in dnrd DNS forwarder
 (CVE-2022-33993, CVE-2022-33992)

We hereby disclose the discovery of multiple DNS Cache poisoning
vulnerabilities in the dnrd DNS forwarder. dnrd is a caching DNS
forwarder/proxy which is unmaintained since about 2007, yet it is still
used in some residential router firmwares. Because the project is
unmaintained, there are no patches available for the described issues.

Our findings are published in our 2022 paper "XDRI Attacks - and - How
to Enhance Resilience of Residential Routers" in August 2022.

Discovery/Credits

Philipp Jeitner, Lucas Teichmann and Haya Shulman
Fraunhofer SIT