Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 11:06:35 +0100
From: Carlton Gibson <carlton.gibson@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Django security releases issued: 4.0.1, 3.2.11, and 2.2.26 (Multiple CVEs)

Blog post:
https://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2022/jan/04/security-releases/

Django 4.0.1, 3.2.11, and 2.2.26 fix three security issues.

In accordance with `our security release policy
<https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/security/>`_, the Django
team
is issuing
`Django 4.0.1 <https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/4.0.1/>`_,
`Django 3.2.11 <https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/3.2.11/>`_,
and
`Django 2.2.26 <https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/2.2.26/>`_.
These release addresses the security issues detailed below. We encourage all
users of Django to upgrade as soon as possible.

CVE-2021-45115: Denial-of-service possibility in
``UserAttributeSimilarityValidator``

``UserAttributeSimilarityValidator`` incurred significant overhead
evaluating submitted password that were artificially large in relative to
the
comparison values. On the assumption that access to user registration was
unrestricted this provided a potential vector for a denial-of-service
attack.

In order to mitigate this issue, relatively long values are now ignored by
``UserAttributeSimilarityValidator``.

This issue has severity "medium" according to the Django security policy.

CVE-2021-45116: Potential information disclosure in ``dictsort`` template
filter

Due to leveraging the Django Template Language's variable resolution logic,
the
``dictsort`` template filter was potentially vulnerable to information
disclosure or unintended method calls, if passed a suitably crafted key.

In order to avoid this possibility, ``dictsort`` now works with a restricted
resolution logic, that will not call methods, nor allow indexing on
dictionaries.

As a reminder, all untrusted user input should be validated before use.

This issue has severity "low" according to the Django security policy.

CVE-2021-45452: Potential directory-traversal via ``Storage.save()``

``Storage.save()`` allowed directory-traversal if directly passed suitably
crafted file names.

This issue has severity "low" according to the Django security policy.

Affected supported versions
===========================

* Django main branch
* Django 4.0
* Django 3.2
* Django 2.2

Resolution
==========

Patches to resolve the issue have been applied to Django's main branch and
the 4.0, 3.2, and 2.2 release branches. The patches may be obtained from the
following changesets.

CVE-2021-45115:

* On the `main branch <
https://github.com/django/django/commit/968a3d01fa79f055f93a1c3ed1535ecbcbdbb842
>`__
* On the `4.0 release branch <
https://github.com/django/django/commit/df79ef03ac867c93caaa6be56bc69e66abfeef8f
>`__
* On the `3.2 release branch <
https://github.com/django/django/commit/a8b32fe13bcaed1c0b772fdc53de84abc224fb20
>`__
* On the `2.2 release branch <
https://github.com/django/django/commit/2135637fdd5ce994de110affef9e67dffdf77277
>`__

CVE-2021-45116:

* On the `main branch <
https://github.com/django/django/commit/761f449e0daf3de06b0132bd4d6dfcdeef578e26
>`__
* On the `4.0 release branch <
https://github.com/django/django/commit/2a8ec7f546d6d5806e221ec948c5146b55bd7489
>`__
* On the `3.2 release branch <
https://github.com/django/django/commit/c7fe895bca06daf12cc1670b56eaf72a1ef27a16
>`__
* On the `2.2 release branch <
https://github.com/django/django/commit/c9f648ccfac5ab90fb2829a66da4f77e68c7f93a
>`__

CVE-2021-45452:

* On the `main branch <
https://github.com/django/django/commit/6d343d01c57eb03ca1c6826318b652709e58a76e
>`__
* On the `4.0 release branch <
https://github.com/django/django/commit/e1592e0f26302e79856cc7f2218ae848ae19b0f6
>`__
* On the `3.2 release branch <
https://github.com/django/django/commit/8d2f7cff76200cbd2337b2cf1707e383eb1fb54b
>`__
* On the `2.2 release branch <
https://github.com/django/django/commit/4cb35b384ceef52123fc66411a73c36a706825e1
>`__

The following releases have been issued:

* Django 4.0.1 (`download Django 4.0.1 <
https://www.djangoproject.com/m/releases/4.0/Django-4.0.1.tar.gz>`_ |
`4.0.1 checksums <
https://www.djangoproject.com/m/pgp/Django-4.0.1.checksum.txt>`_)
* Django 3.2.11 (`download Django 3.2.11 <
https://www.djangoproject.com/m/releases/3.2/Django-3.2.11.tar.gz>`_ |
`3.2.11 checksums <
https://www.djangoproject.com/m/pgp/Django-3.2.11.checksum.txt>`_)
* Django 2.2.26 (`download Django 2.2.26 <
https://www.djangoproject.com/m/releases/2.2/Django-2.2.26.tar.gz>`_ |
`2.2.26 checksums <
https://www.djangoproject.com/m/pgp/Django-2.2.26.checksum.txt>`_)

The PGP key ID used for these releases is Carlton Gibson: `E17DF5C82B4F9D00
<https://github.com/carltongibson.gpg>`_.

General notes regarding security reporting