Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 10:11:12 -0300
From: Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo <cascardo@...onical.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Lin Horse <kylin.formalin@...il.com>
Subject: Re: CVE-2021-3760: Linux kernel: Use-After-Free
 vulnerability of ndev->rf_conn_info object

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 02:30:18PM +0200, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 08:14:20PM +0800, Lin Horse wrote:
> > The commit for the fix is 1b1499a817c90fd1ce9453a2c98d2a01cca0e775 (link:
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?id=1b1499a817c90fd1ce9453a2c98d2a01cca0e775
> > )
>
> Thanks.  Looks like the same fix you already shared on September 1.
>
> I also found this was (first?) made public on Linux kernel mailing lists
> (linux-nfc, netdev, linux-kernel) on October 7 by someone from Canonical
> (and Lin was CC'ed):
>
> https://lists.openwall.net/netdev/2021/10/07/239
>
> Canonical didn't break the embargo there because it was supposed to be
> already over by then, however I think it was their opportunity to remind
> about the need to make the oss-security posting, or to make the posting
> themselves.  Speaking of which, I think SUSE (as they first reminded) or

Krzysztof Kozlowski is the current NFC maintainer, so I asked him, and he
confirmed that he was on Cc when/after this was reported to
security@...nel.org. So, this was independent from the reports that were
gone through linux-distros.

He was not aware that this was brought to linux-distros and I am not sure
he is familiar with its policy as he is not a member.

I don't think we should expect an upstream maintainer to notify
oss-security and need to rely on the other methods you already mentioned to
make sure we notice when things have gone public.

Cascardo.