Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 13:51:17 +0530
From: Mohammad Tausif Siddiqui <msiddiqu@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: xiao.zhang@...driver.com
Subject: Re: Contributing Back

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 12:12 AM Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 03:37:03PM +0800, Zhang Xiao wrote:
> > ??? 2020/7/12 ??????1:58, Solar Designer ??????:
> CVE and NVD website don't upgrade their web page timely. For example:

> local file with -J" in 20200617. It was a "pre-notification about a
> security advisory about to ship next week in sync with our next curl
> release", for CVE-2020-8177. On curl's git tree, that very bug did been
> fixed and released in 20200621:

> CVE as "RESERVED":

> any advises to make it? And If it ca be defined as an contribution, we can
> take it. :-)
> > > We've received some responses in this thread regarding the specific
> > > example above, but I'd like more general responses please.  Is there a
> > > general task Wind River can reasonably help with for getting CVE
> details
> > > published for issues that pass the distros and/or oss-security lists,
> > > and how exactly could they help with that?
> >
> > Actually, we are glad to make it for some customers are also pay
> > attention on these official web pages. We suppose it will be easy to
> > make it through the "notify a vulnerability publication
> > <https://cveform.mitre.org/>". But after I submitted the request I just
> > get a reply as "This CVE ID has been reserved by the CNA Hackerone and
> > we are currently waiting on them to submit the details." Seems only "the
> > CNA Hackerone" can make it. I have no idea on how to notify the "the CNA
> > Hackerone " to push it. :-(п╠Б∙░ Anyway, if possible we are glad to make
> it.
>
> Once again, I think CVE-2020-8177 is more of an exception than the rule.
> I would be more interested in comments by "CVE experts" on whether the
> task Xiao proposes and volunteers for is in general worthwhile or not,
> and why.  Would similar "notify a vulnerability publication" reminders
> be desirable for issues that got the CVE IDs from one of the CNAs on the
> distros list?

Xiao, Alexander,

I think the ball is on the CNA: Hackerone side to get it published to
MITRE, so
that they can show it up on their page.

CNAs are provided with weekly reports by the root CNA: MITRE, which lists
Reserved But Public "RBP" CVEs owned by that CNA, irrespective of whether
the
CVE was assigned on distros list or elsewhere. That closes the reminder
loop.

There's no pull request for CVE-2020-8177 at
https://github.com/CVEProject/cvelist/pulls
We cannot determine if they used the alternative, web form:
https://cveform.mitre.org/

You may want to reach Hackerone from the CNA contacts
<https://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html#cna_participants>, for this
exception of delay.

Kind regards
--

Tausif Siddiqui, PRODUCT SECURITY

0EE1 F6BF 8991 9A65 0A79 A0A7 5849 60EC 88B8 2C71

secalert@...hat.com <https://access.redhat.com/security/team/contact> for
urgent response.