Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 15:03:42 -0800
From: "Srivatsa S. Bhat" <srivatsa@...il.mit.edu>
To: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>, sashal@...nel.org,
 amakhalov@...are.com, anishs@...are.com, Sharath George
 <sharathg@...are.com>, mijzerman@...are.com,
 Srivatsa Bhat <srivatsab@...are.com>
Subject: Re: Membership application for linux-distros - VMware

Hi Alexander,

On 10/30/19 9:24 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> Hello Srivatsa,
>
> I've reviewed your request and the external resources you referenced,
> and more, and I find the request very reasonable and satisfying our
> stated requirements.  I also gave others on oss-security time to comment
> if they wanted to, and we've only seen comments in favor.
>
> Please send me your PGP key off-list and I'll add you to linux-distros.

Thank you very much for adding VMware Photon OS to linux-distros!

> Please see below on contributing back:
>
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 12:08:48PM -0700, Srivatsa S. Bhat wrote:
>> We would like to volunteer for the following tasks (but we would love
>> your suggestions on taking up other tasks instead, depending on the
>> current needs of the list).
>>
>> Technical:
>>
>> 4. Check if related issues exist in the same piece of software (e.g.,
>> same bug class common across the software, or other kinds of bugs
>> exist in its problematic component), and inform the list either way -
>> primary: Ubuntu, backup: vacant
>>
>> Administrative:
>>
>> 5. Determine if the reported issues are Linux-specific, and if so help
>> ensure that (further) private discussion goes on the linux-distros
>> sub-list only (thus, not spamming and unnecessarily disclosing to the
>> non-Linux distros) - primary: SUSE, backup: vacant
>
> This is a good choice, thanks!
>
> I'd like you to pick a primary role for some task.  As an option, we can
> make you primary for "5. Determine if the reported issues are
> Linux-specific ...", moving SUSE to backup.

That sounds good to me!

> Please let me know of your final choice, as well as where you'd like to
> be primary and where to join as a backup.

I'd like to sign up as primary for Administrative 5: "Determine if the
reported issues are Linux-specific... ", and as backup for Technical 4.
"Check if related issues exist in the same piece of software...".
(I did consider the other task that you brought up, namely Technical
6, but I think we'd need more experience on the list before we can
sign up for that task).

Also, is there a write-up somewhere that defines exactly what primary
and backup means in this context? At the moment, I'm assuming that,
for a given task, the primary distro will take up that task for every
issue that gets posted onto linux-distros; and in case the primary is
unavailable (due to vacation/travel etc), then the backup will step up
for that task until the primary gets back. Is that how it works?  If
so, will we get to know the contact details of other distros so that
we can coordinate our schedules?

On a related note, would it be okay for me to request another member
of the Photon OS team (whom I can vouch for), to be added to the
linux-distros list, so that we can have at least one person from our
team always available to take action for our distro, in response to
the issues disclosed on the list?

Thank you very much!

Regards,
Srivatsa