Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 17:24:23 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>, sashal@...nel.org,
	amakhalov@...are.com, anishs@...are.com,
	Sharath George <sharathg@...are.com>, mijzerman@...are.com,
	Srivatsa Bhat <srivatsab@...are.com>,
	"Srivatsa S. Bhat" <srivatsa@...il.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Membership application for linux-distros - VMware

Hello Srivatsa,

I've reviewed your request and the external resources you referenced,
and more, and I find the request very reasonable and satisfying our
stated requirements.  I also gave others on oss-security time to comment
if they wanted to, and we've only seen comments in favor.

Please send me your PGP key off-list and I'll add you to linux-distros.

Please see below on contributing back:

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 12:08:48PM -0700, Srivatsa S. Bhat wrote:
> We would like to volunteer for the following tasks (but we would love
> your suggestions on taking up other tasks instead, depending on the
> current needs of the list).
>
> Technical:
>
> 4. Check if related issues exist in the same piece of software (e.g.,
> same bug class common across the software, or other kinds of bugs
> exist in its problematic component), and inform the list either way -
> primary: Ubuntu, backup: vacant
>
> Administrative:
>
> 5. Determine if the reported issues are Linux-specific, and if so help
> ensure that (further) private discussion goes on the linux-distros
> sub-list only (thus, not spamming and unnecessarily disclosing to the
> non-Linux distros) - primary: SUSE, backup: vacant

This is a good choice, thanks!

I'd like you to pick a primary role for some task.  As an option, we can
make you primary for "5. Determine if the reported issues are
Linux-specific ...", moving SUSE to backup.

Please let me know of your final choice, as well as where you'd like to
be primary and where to join as a backup.

We also need a distro to volunteer for the only currently completely
unassigned task requiring list membership, Technical 6:

6. Produce and share well-reasoned estimates for the time required to
handle the issues under embargo (such as to (re)negotiate the public
disclosure date and/or to choose between the different ways to handle an
issue)

I mention this not only in response to you, but also in case any other
distro would take this opportunity to volunteer for this task.  I guess
that same distro could also be involved in Technical 1 and/or 2 since
the time estimates and schedules could reasonably come out of such work:

1. Propose (other) ways to fix, work around, or mitigate the reported
issues - primary: Red Hat, backup: vacant

2. Develop and share fixes, workarounds, or mitigations - primary: Red Hat,
backup: vacant

Any takers?

Alexander