Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 22:54:47 +0200
From: zugtprgfwprz@...rnkuller.de
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Travis CI MITM RCE

On 31.08.2018 17:52, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> In nearly every case where we're talking about automated signature
> checking, the cost of shipping the public key instead of (or in addition
> to) the fingerprint is negligible.  and shipping just the fingerprint
> introduces robustness and reliability problems for the signature
> verification.

Ah, fair enough. Thanks for clarifying this, you're making good points.
The robustness issue is indeed something I completely disregarded.

Luckily, we've already arrived at a point where keys can be as short as
hash values. Ed25519 keys are 32 bytes, i.e., the same length as a
SHA256 hash. So there's that :-)

All the best,
Cheers,
Joe

--
"A PC without Windows is like a chocolate cake without mustard."