Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 22:25:50 +0200
From: zugtprgfwprz@...rnkuller.de
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Travis CI MITM RCE

On 31.08.2018 14:18, vines@...eup.net wrote:

>> I agree about the "key ID" part, but not about the "fingerprint" part.
>> Pinning a cryptographic hash over a public key isn't a security
>> antipattern by any strech of the imagination. Sure, you could argue that
>> the SHA-1 used by GPG isn't state-of-the-art anymore, but we're not
>> talking about collision attacks, but second preimage attacks. Far worse
>> for the attacker.
>>
> True, yes, harder to brute-force a identical private key, than a key with an identical fingerprint.

Hmm, not so sure. Let's say we're talking about RSA-4096, then we have a
security level of around 144 bit. Bruteforcing a second preimage SHA-1
(pretending it's an ideal hash function for a second) would have
complexity of around 159 bit. I.e., even for RSA-4096, it would be
easier to create the *identical* private key by factoring the modulus
(thus obviously creating a keypair with the identical fingerprint) than
just randomly generating keypairs and checking their private key hash.

I.e., my point was that for a given key that's uploaded with a fixed
fingerprint, we're not talking about 2^(b/2) collision complexity, but
2^(b-1) second preimage complexity.

> However, if someone hadn't considered the possibility of a SHA1 collision attack, and a signature verification fails, despite the fingerprint they see matching, what % of GPG users would skip signature verification?
> Perhaps due to confusion/self-doubt/inexperience/other.
> Admittedly, this could be stepping into the realm of social engineering.

I think the attacker model that Daniel referred to was that someone
states "my key's fingerprint is XYZ" and someone downloading a forged,
same-fingerprint key from the keyserver.

Cheers,
Joe

--
"A PC without Windows is like a chocolate cake without mustard."