Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 21:15:00 +0000
From: Jeremy Stanley <jeremy@...nstack.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: [FD] CVE-2016-4484: -
 Cryptsetup Initrd root Shell

On 2016-11-15 20:11:11 +0000 (+0000), Hector Marco wrote:
> It would be more precise to say "2:1.7.3-2" rather than "2:1".
> This number refers to the Debian package. It seems that Debian is using
> different version numbers for the "cryptsetup" package:
>
> https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2016-4484
>
> We are not sure whether the last part of the version number (2:1.7.3-2)
> of the Debian package (1.7.3-2) is used to match with the cryptsetup
> version.
[...]

The "2:" prefix is called an "epoch" and was introduced around the
time the package was renamed from "cryptsetup-luks" to "cryptsetup"
(for reasons not entirely clear to me from reading the package
changelog, but is usually employed to work around version numbers
going in reverse or mistakes in version numbers for a package). The
-2 suffix is a package revision, which makes updated packages
containing non-updated upstream releases possible (necessary to, for
example, be able to fix bugs in the packaging itself). So in the
case of a 2:1.7.3-2 package version, 1.7.3 is the corresponding
upstream source version number.
--
Jeremy Stanley