Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 02:58:22 +0100
From: Laël Cellier <lael.cellier@...oste.net>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: server and client side remote code execution through a buffer overflow in all git versions before 2.7.1 (unpublished ᴄᴠᴇ-2016-2324 and ᴄᴠᴇ‑2016‑2315)

GitHub talks about a simple memory corruption because I was unable to
proof a ʀᴄᴇ. While I’m sure the affected variables aren’t at the end of
allocated heap, I definitely lack the required skills to produce a proof
for remote code execution
http://security.stackexchange.com/q/117394/36301 (I can put arbitrary
data in paths but I don’t know how to exploit a heap overflow even
without aslr and dep). Being too lazy, I didn’t get the required mark to
go at the university which could have taught it (I had to go at an
another one). So I won’t write it.

If someone is interested in producing such proof … Please do it