Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 02:31:27 +0100
From: Laël Cellier <lael.cellier@...oste.net>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: server and client side remote code execution through a buffer overflow in all git versions before 2.7.1 (unpublished ᴄᴠᴇ-2016-2324 and ᴄᴠᴇ‑2016‑2315)

Concerning the reply to ᴄᴠᴇ details. (as you can check without the
quotes, the pgp signature is correct and belong to mitre) (it was
originally posted on the git‑security mailing list).

But more generally, individual patches are here
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/286253
And the affected versions are 2.7.0 and below. 2.7.1 is the first
version which is safe to use. sid, you can relax the 2.7.3 in gitlab
This is the matter of pushing one or several crafted tree objects if the
target is a server, or making a client cloning a crafted repository
containing such objects.

Users of gerrit are also affected due to gerrit‑gc (so even probably
google’s servers). But as the frontend is Jgit, the installed git
version number is hidden (so the only way is to exploit remote code
execution). (and this was because wikmedia used gerrit they were
threat). Because gerrit‑gc rely on git, not on Jgit.

And for fun, a switch to java git might not be a good bet. Because I
also probably found a server side memory leak in Jgit which can be
triggered with a simple clone access (which I would be able to confirm
once that vendor get that
http://www.materiel.net/carte-reseau/intel-dual-band-wireless-ac-7260-desktop-7260hmwdtx1-r-114087.html
again (so they can ship it to me, so I can replace the one that died)).

Concerning github, I already told they fixed github enterprise in
December, and of course they did for the main site at the same time :
https://bounty.github.com