Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 05:25:08 +1100 (EST)
From: Dave Horsfall <dave@...sfall.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: can we talk about secure time?

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014, Florian Weimer wrote:

> [...] but I have the impression that the correct clock changes every
> couple of years.

This sounds like you're referring to leap seconds, where due to the
Earth's rotation slowing down (as determined by the International Earth
Rotation Service), an extra second is inserted every so often, typically
in July; it's quite fun watching it on a GPS receiver (assuming that it
even survives the event, as I've seen a few cheaper ones lose the plot).

There is a serious proposal to phase out leap seconds (no URL handy right
now), and I have no idea how that will affect time-based security.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)