Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 12:50:07 -0500
From: Daniel Micay <danielmicay@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: can we talk about secure time?

On 21/12/14 06:31 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:

> In contrast, servers with long-running connections and I/O polling
> loops often do not react gracefully to jumps in time.  (I once
> disconnected a few hundreds, if not thousands of users from an IRC
> server just by setting its time correctly.)  Sure, you can avoid that
> by using the appropriate kernel clock for timeout handling, but I have
> the impression that the correct clock changes every couple of years.

I don't think it has ever changed. CLOCK_MONOTONIC won't *ever* jump
either forwards or backwards, but is impacted by clock skew. I don't
think most use cases actually want CLOCK_MONOTONIC_RAW, especially
considering that there's no vdso implementation so it's slow.

Of course, there's lots of buggy software which is why we have stuff
like ASLR / SSP in the first place. :)

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (820 bytes)