Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 10:58:06 +0100
From: Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com,
        "Joshua J. Drake" <oss-sec-pmgetbl@...p.org>
CC: Tero Marttila <terom@...me.fi>
Subject: Re: CVE request: procmail heap overflow in getlline()

On 12/04/2014 09:41 AM, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> On 04/12/14 12:57 AM, Santiago Vila wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 05:30:57PM -0600, Joshua J. Drake wrote:
>>> Is it possible to trigger this issue with untrusted input or only
>>> trusted input from procmailrc?
>>
>> This is an issue with the handling of .procmailrc file, which contains
>> the filter rules for procmail. An external attacker is not supposed to
>> provide the .procmailrc file at /home/user, only the email to be
>> filtered, so, IMHO, this is a bug but maybe not a security bug.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> I disagree. Many mail servers allow people to edit their .procmailrc but
> explicitly block shell accounts. This would allow a user with a non
> interactive shell account to execute arbitrary commands using procmailrc
> even if they were otherwise restricted (e.g. using permissions or
> SELinux for example).

procmail already executes commands in lines starting with “|” (and the
documentation suggests it does not honor SHELL, so SHELL=/bin/false does
not block this).  If permissions/SELinux contain that, they will also
work against a procmailrc parser exploit.  In other words, I don't think
there's a security bug here.