Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 11:36:45 +0100
From: Simon McVittie <smcv@...ian.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, rgerhards@...adiscon.com
Subject: Re: vulnerability in rsyslog

On 06/10/14 08:34, Rainer Gerhards wrote:
> Sorry, it looks like I don't understand your question.

I think the clarification Sven is asking for is a statement like this
(I'm deliberately using imaginary version numbers which do not resemble
rsyslog's actual 7.x versions, to make it clear that I'm not making a
statement about this particular rsyslog vuln):

"""
Releases 1.2.x < 1.2.4, 1.3.x < 1.3.7 and 1.4.x < 1.4.1 are vulnerable
unless the vendor-supplied patch is applied. Releases < 1.2, >= 1.2.4,
>= 1.3.7 and >= 1.4.1 are not vulnerable.
"""

In most projects' version numbering practices:

* a version (release) is a fixed point that can never change (so if
  1.2.3 is vulnerable to CVE-1066-1234 it will always be vulnerable
  to CVE-1066-1234)

* a stable release series or stable branch can have later versions that
  are intended to supersede an earlier version completely, while having
  minimal changes to fix serious bugs (so the upstream project can
  address CVE-1066-1234 by releasing 1.2.3.1 or 1.2.4)

* alternatively, the upstream project can release recommended patches
  to be applied by sysadmins or vendors, which might be labelled
  "1.2.3 patch 1" or something if the project is particularly formal,
  or might just be identified by git/svn/etc. commit ID

* even if 1.2.3 is vulnerable and always will be, a downstream vendor
  like Debian or Red Hat might release a derived version like
  1.2.3-4+deb7u5 which incorporates the recommended patch from the
  upstream project, or a patch from the vendor or a third party, and so
  is not vulnerable

Regards,