Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 19:19:50 -0700
From: Seth Arnold <seth.arnold@...onical.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [seth.arnold@...onical.com: CVE Requests openjpeg]

Please find attached three mails relating to the openjpeg
(http://www.openjpeg.org/) libopenjpeg library (Debian/Ubuntu source
package name openjpeg) JPEG 2000 image processing library.

CVE-2013-4289 has been assigned for heap-based buffer overflows.
CVE-2013-4290 has been assigned for stack-based buffer overflows.

When I reviewed our packages, I followed several of the memory-allocation
multiplications far enough to convince myself that integer wraparound
was possible, though perhaps the example I selected for the CVE request
is not an actual problem.

I have also attached an email I sent directly to the openjpeg developers
with suggestions for further enhancements that did not feel worty of a CVE
request. I'm including it here in the hopes that it is useful to someone.

I did not receive any replies from the openjpeg developers; as far as I
know, no patches are available, and I personally will not be taking the
time to prepare patches.

If someone does take the time to prepare patches, I'd like to suggest
writing several wrappers around malloc() to handle the common memory
allocation cases so the size validation can be performed in a handful of
routines rather than scattered through the codebase.

Thanks to Huzaifa Sidhpurwala for his assistence deciphering my request.

Thanks,
Seth

Content of type "message/rfc822" skipped

Content of type "message/rfc822" skipped

Content of type "message/rfc822" skipped

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (491 bytes)