Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 10:05:07 +0200
From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@...e.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>, Michael Matz <matz@...e.de>,
	Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@...e.de>, Andreas Jaeger <aj@...e.de>
Subject: Re: CVE request: crypt_blowfish 8-bit character mishandling

Solar Designer wrote:
> Here's my current code, with lots of comments - more comments than code,
> actually, because the code is very compact:

mkpasswd (package whois) checks whether the crypted password starts
with the originally requested prefix. Since crypt_gensalt now
returns $2y for $2a mkpasswd fails. I'm not claiming mkpasswd's
assumption on the behavior of crypt_gensalt is correct but it's not
documented whether crypt_gensalt may change the prefix.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel