Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 22:48:17 -0700
From: Chris Evans <scarybeasts@...il.com>
To: HD Moore <hdm@...italoffense.net>
Cc: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: vsftpd download backdoored

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 9:04 PM, HD Moore <hdm@...italoffense.net> wrote:
> On 7/4/2011 10:58 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
>> What mirror?  As far as I'm aware, from the announcement by Chris, only
>> the official distribution site for vsftpd was compromised.
> [ snip ]
>> Maybe.  Do you have a copy of the backdoored tarball?  I don't, and no
>> one on forums where I saw this discussed appears to have it (which
>> confirms that it existed for a very short period of time only).
>
> This copy is backdoored and has mtime Feb-15-2011. Chris didn't reply
> when I asked him for a copy from his master (old/vsftpd-2.3.4.tar.gz).

Yeah, on vacation at the moment but looks like you found a good alternative?
FWIW, https://docs.
Google.com/leaf?id=0B-_usSLlqH60Y2QwZDM0YWEtYWY0My00NmM5LWI3NDAtY2Y0MzRiOTg5ZGJm&hl=en_US

Seems strange to me that the attacker would remember to update mtime
on the replacement tarball, but leave .o files kicking around (thus
also changing tarball size radically).

Cheers
Chris