Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 13:04:44 -0500
From: Mark Hatle <mark.hatle@...driver.com>
To: <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: [security-vendor] Re: Closed list

On 5/2/11 12:22 PM, Solar Designer wrote:

>> > Ok.. but do they need to be publicly available ( ie no service or
>> > maintenance contract to get)?

Most embedded Linux distributors don't have any concept of src.rpm or
equivalent.  We primarily ship patches to our build infrastructure and meta-data
in "some format".  Be it as patch files, installer "fragements", etc.

> Per the discussion so far, yes, or you would likely be in another
> category from the "open" Linux distro vendors.  I don't know what others
> in here would say if you, for example, only make advisories public, but
> not any code.  Maybe this will do (that is, folks would not oppose you
> being on the same list with the "open" vendors), maybe not.  A better
> option could be for you to make advisories and package metainfo public
> (file lists, change logs, etc.), but not the packages themselves.

This is a more reasonable approach for the Embedded Linux distributors.  But
keep in mind that due to our IT infrastructures and such, don't expect this type
of change overnight.  However, if it would allow our participation in the closed
lists we are certainly interested.

> I similarly don't know how that would be received by others in here.
> On one hand, it would show that you're preparing security updates, for
> what software, and when.  On the other, the level of openness would
> still be less than Red Hat's.

I am a bit confused though.  If I (as a non-RH customer) look to download their
latest security updates, I don't see an obvious way of doing it based on their
advisories.  For instance:

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2011-0421.html

This advisory ends with:  (The unlinked packages above are only available from
the Red Hat Network)

This requires that I have a support account in order to download the update.
This is certainly different from the "Open" distributions, such as Fedora... but
really isn't different from what Wind River is doing -- other then perhaps the
verbose description of the issue.

--Mark