Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 03:27:56 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Closed list

Jeffrey,

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 01:03:31PM -0700, Jeffrey Czerniak wrote:
> I'm Jeffrey Czerniak, a member of Apple's Product Security team.  I was a member of vendor-sec via the Apple exploder.   Please subscribe me to the new list.
>
> My PGP public key can be found at https://www.apple.com/support/security/pgp/   I have also pasted it below for convenience:

Thanks, and sorry for the confusion caused by my last minute
determination to start with a Linux distros list only.

Obviously, I won't add Apple to a Linux distro security contacts list
(well, unless you start a Linux distro).

Yet I recognize that Apple has been contributing to vendor-sec, so I'd
be happy to add you to a suitable list if one is setup.  Perhaps a BSD
distros list, which would generally be CC'ed on issues that are expected
to be shared between Linux and *BSD userlands and thus likely also with
Mac OS X?  Do you and other vendors feel that such a list is needed?

So far, yours is the only non-Linux vendor request.  For just one
vendor, we can be CC'ing you whenever appropriate, with no list needed.

One of my reasons to go with a Linux-only list for now was that during
the month without vendor-sec only Linux distro folks approached me
asking for the setup of such a list.  Others did not appear to need it.
The attitude from security researchers and non-Linux projects appeared
to be like "we don't need this list, but if one exists, we want to be on
it".  This made some sense to me, but not enough to setup a list shared
by both those who say they need it (Linux distros) and those who want to
be on it just not to be left out.

I'd appreciate any proposals from prospective non-Linux-distro members
of private list(s) to be setup (if any are needed).

Thanks,

Alexander