Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 12:00:51 -0500
From: Dan Rosenberg <dan.j.rosenberg@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Linux kernel address leaks

For starters, I don't want to turn this into a conversation about
CVEs.  The point of my post was to generate discussion on a particular
class of information leakage and talk about how to address it.

That said, MITRE's website defines an "exposure" (the "E" in "CVE") as
follows [1]:

"An information security 'exposure' is a system configuration issue or
a mistake in software that allows access to information or
capabilities that can be used by a hacker as a stepping-stone into a
system or network.

CVE considers a configuration issue or a mistake an exposure if it
does not directly allow compromise but could be an important component
of a successful attack, and is a violation of a reasonable security
policy."

I don't think it's appropriate to use CVEs as a blackmailing tool, and
I don't actually think these issues need CVEs.  But claiming that it
would be inappropriate to assign them because they're not "security
problems" is a bit misguided.  We're not talking about leaking
function addresses here - we're talking about leaking the addresses of
live kernel data structures, which in my opinion is more of a risk.

-Dan

[1] http://cve.mitre.org/about/terminology.html