Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:20:04 +0300
From: Pinar Yanardag <pinar@...dus.org.tr>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: CVE Request: Wireshark DoS

Hi,

Yesterday, I came upon the following Secunia advisory [1] about Wireshark 1.0.6:

--------8<---------

A vulnerability has been discovered in Wireshark, which can
potentially be exploited by malicious people to compromise a user's
system.
The vulnerability is caused due to a format string error within the
PN-DCP dissector when processing station names containing format
string specifiers. This can be exploited to cause a crash and
potentially execute arbitrary code via specially crafted packets
captured off the wire or loaded via a capture file.

[1]: http://secunia.com/advisories/34542

I couldn't find any related CVE request, can you assign one?

Thanks,
--
Pinar Yanardag
http://pinguar.org