Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 10:46:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE id requests: gmanedit

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008, Steffen Joeris wrote:

> There are two possible buffer overflows in gmanedit. One is via crafted
> configuration file and the other one via crafted manual page.
> See the Debian bug report for more information.

Use CVE-2008-3971, which covers the manual page and (if it's
security-relevant) the configuration page.  Even though the source of
attack is different, the vuln type is the same.

Nico - I don't know the typical usage scenarios for gmanedit, but if the
design of the configuration file allows the user to define dangerous
actions (such as their own executable commands), then it's clearly not
intended for external influence and wouldn't count as a vuln in my book.
Still would be merged under CVE-2008-3971 if there's a scenario.

- Steve