Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 00:22:23 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 10:15:15AM -0700, Vincent Danen wrote:
> ... That should probably be added on the charter page that a
> simple introductory email requesting subscription should suffice (i.e.
> indicate who you are and what you're involved with).

Feel free to do it.  We can always change this policy (and edit the wiki
page accordingly) if needed.

> Since folks like Jim are exactly the type of people we want on the list,
> we need to make the process fairly simple (and fast, if possible) to
> prevent turning people off.

In fact, I think even something as simple as compulsory introduction
will turn some people away - e.g., those Open Source authors who are new
to security and would like to listen to our conversations before they
might dare to introduce themselves.

Maybe we don't really require it?  Maybe we don't really need to make
this list subscription-moderated?  This implies that we'll have to
enable message moderation (with its associated delays) even for list
members at some point, though.

To avoid the delays, we might enhance (patch) ezmlm-idx to honor its
"allow" list even for fully-message-moderated lists.  This is probably
not too hard to do, although I have not looked into it.  Normally, the
"allow" list appears to only be honored for lists that are
message-moderated for non-members.

Alexander