Date: Fri, 24 May 2024 17:03:59 +0000
From: Rafael Ávila de Espíndola <rafael@...indo.la>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: ioctl signature

The signature of ioctl in musl is

int ioctl (int, int, ...);

In glibc it is

int ioctl(int fd, unsigned long request, ...);

The requests are always 32 bits, and the most significant bit is used to
indicated that this ioctl is a read operation. This means that some
constants are negative numbers if using an int. I have noticed this
because rust's interface to libc matches the system libc implementation,
and in alpine I got an error for a literal out of range for
0xc0104801. I don't know if a C compiler would produce a warning, but
that seems somewhat reasonable.

Should the declaration be changed to use an unsigned request?:

int ioctl (int, unsigned int, ...);

Thanks,
Rafael