Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 16:47:02 -0800
From: Paul Eggert <eggert@...ucla.edu>
To: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>, Đoàn Trần Công Danh <congdanhqx@...il.com>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com, tz@...a.org
Subject: Re: [tz] Re: Weird PST8PDT and EST5EDT behavior on Alpine
 Linux

On 3/5/24 12:12, Rich Felker via tz wrote:
> Yes, it's not clear to me (POSIX doesn't seem to specify) what the
> default rules should be when none are specified. However, it is clear
> that these strings meet the syntax for the POSIX TZ form, and thus
> musl does not attempt to interpret them as filenames, which could
> result in behavior contrary to the specified meaning.

Although TZDB interprets them as filenames, that is OK because the TZDB
filenames have the specified meaning. Each TZDB Zone whose name has the
form of a POSIX.1-2017 TZ string implements a set of transitions
compatible with the corresponding POSIX TZ setting.

Long ago that wasn't the case: there were Zones like "GMT-12" that
weren't compatible with POSIX even though their names took the POSIX
forms. But that bug was fixed decades ago, in tzdata 94d (1994-02-24),
and we no longer need to worry about that possibility.