Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 04:03:02 -0800
From: Max Filippov <jcmvbkbc@...il.com>
To: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Initial xtensa/fdpic port review

On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 1:28 PM Max Filippov <jcmvbkbc@...il.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 10:30 AM Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:
> > Is there a reason local, relative jumps/calls can't be done by
> > computing the address of a nearby label and using the offset relative
> > to that? That's how they (at least some types; I forget the details)
> > work on sh/fdpic.
>
> IIUC that would require the actual PC knowledge and there's no direct
> access to the PC on xtensa.

I thought about it for a bit and although the current PC can easily
be fetched I don't see how it can work for multiple text segments
without a GOT entry. OTOH a link-time conversion of a call without
GOT to a call with GOT in case the target and the call site are in
the different text segments seems feasible.

--
Thanks.
-- Max