Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 12:41:44 +0900
From: Tatsuyuki Ishi <ishitatsuyuki@...il.com>
To: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
Cc: Fangrui Song <i@...kray.me>,
 musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Draft riscv64 TLSDESC implementation

> On Jan 22, 2024, at 9:03, Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 03:48:55PM -0800, Fangrui Song wrote:

>>> Any feedback on this? Offhand, it looks like adjusting sp by 8 is
>>> wrong and that should be 16. Anything else? Does anyone have recent
>>> enough tooling to test this?
>>
>> Tatsuyuki, do you have links to the latest version of
>> gcc/binutils/glibc patches?
>> Downloading patches from these mailing lists is probably a large
>> hurdle for many users, so having the relevant repositories online may
>> help.
>>
>> mold has implemented RISC-V TLSDESC.
>>
>> On the LLVM side, I have reviewed
>> https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/pull/66915 and am waiting for it
>> to land, before I can check the lld status.
>
> To test this, drop it in src/ldso/riscv64/tlsdesc.s, and add to
> arch/riscv64/reloc.h:
>
> #define REL_TLSDESC R_RISCV_TLSDESC
>
> or whatever the reloc name is (I don't think it's in elf.h yet so you
> probably need to either add it there too or just hard-code the number
> for testing).
>
> Updated version with the sp bugfix attached.

The assembly looks fine to me. (It’s nice that musl don’t need to bother with save/restore at all since DTVs are initialized eagerly.)
For the patches mentioned in the other thread, most tests were done with glibc’s portable testsuite (tst-elf-*).
If musl has a similar one, you should be able to run it with my GCC / binutils fork (with either --with_tls=desc at configure time or -mtls-dialect=desc at compile time).

Tatsuyuki.