Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:41:41 -0400
From: Carl Chave <online@...ve.us>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Hung processes with althttpd web server

Hello, I'm running the althttpd web server on Alpine Linux using a Ramnode VPS.

I've been having issues for quite a while with "hung" processes. There
is a long lived parent process and then a short lived forked process
for each http request. What I've been seeing is that the forked
processes will sometimes get stuck:

sod01:/srv/www/log$ sudo strace -p 11329
strace: Process 11329 attached
futex(0x7f5bdcd77900, FUTEX_WAIT_PRIVATE, 4294967295, NULL

Please see this forum thread for additional information:
https://sqlite.org/althttpd/forumpost/4dc31619341ce947

That thread is kind of all over the place though as I banged around
trying to figure out how to troubleshoot the issue. The last thing I
tried was to statically build althttpd in a glibc based Void Linux
chroot. I ran that on the Alpine VPS for 37 days without issue. I
switched back to the musl dynamically linked build and 14 hours later
got a hung process.

Can you give me any tips on how to troubleshoot this further?

Thanks,
Carl