Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 16:04:41 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: Mike Granby <mikeg@...eg.net>
Cc: "musl@...ts.openwall.com" <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: sizeof(pthread_mutex_t) on aarch64

On Wed, Aug 23, 2023 at 01:57:04PM +0000, Mike Granby wrote:
> Yeah, that all makes sense. I suspected that would be the case, but
> I figured I'd memorialize the issue in case someone else came across
> it. This way, they might at least find it via a search. Just for my
> interest, I'm going to have a quick look to figure out why glibc
> ends up with the different size on aarch64: It seems like it is the
> outlie, although my sample size is not large. Re gcompat, that
> didn't fix this particular issue and in any case, I really didn't
> like what it did to cmdline in procfs with its shimming, but I'll
> certainly keep an eye on its development. Thanks for the prompt
> response...

Re: gcompat, indeed at present it would not help at all, as all it
does is add some extra stuff not already in musl's internal
ABI-compat. Part of moving all the ABI-compat stuff to gcompat would
be getting rid of the need for the kind of shimming you don't like,
and having musl ldso do the work of loading a delegated ABI-compat
shared library for executables/modules that need it.