Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 20:34:04 +0100
From: Immolo <immoloism@...glemail.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: m68k - malloc causing 'out of memory: my_alloc caller' in rsync

Hi,

I've been testing using Gentoo on m68k with musl -1.2.4 over the last few
days and hit an interesting issue when running `emerge --sync` to update
the portage tree would cause the following error:

[receiver] out of memory: my_alloc caller (file=flist.c, line=311)
rsync error: error allocating core memory buffers (code 22) at util2.c(123)
[receiver=3.2.7]
[generator] out of memory: my_alloc caller (file=flist.c, line=311)
rsync error: error allocating core memory buffers (code 22) at util2.c(123)
[generator=3.2.7]
rsync: [receiver] write error: Broken pipe (32)
Full output here: https://bpa.st/3VDNM

Looking at the source code of the files it highlights it seems to be an
issue in the malloc:
https://github.com/WayneD/rsync/blob/master/util2.c#L123
https://github.com/WayneD/rsync/blob/master/flist.c#L311
https://github.com/WayneD/rsync/blob/master/fileio.c#L159

I've tested to see if a local rsync mirror will cause the same error with
random files and found it happens at around 62 files being mirrored but
size of the file does not matter.
I run musll on multiple architectures and this is the first time I've run
across it and have confirmed the Gentoo glibc m68k install does not run
into this.

Content of type "text/html" skipped