Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 15:12:42 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: Markus Wichmann <nullplan@....net>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Namespace violation in system()?

On Thu, May 04, 2023 at 01:52:08PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Thu, May 04, 2023 at 06:33:27PM +0200, Markus Wichmann wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I stumbled upon the source code of system() today. It is this at the
> > moment:
> >
> > |int system(const char *cmd)
> > |{
> > |	pid_t pid;
> > |	sigset_t old, reset;
> > |	struct sigaction sa = { .sa_handler = SIG_IGN }, oldint, oldquit;
> > |	int status = -1, ret;
> > |	posix_spawnattr_t attr;
> > |
> > |	pthread_testcancel();
> > |
> > |	if (!cmd) return 1;
> > |
> > |	sigaction(SIGINT, &sa, &oldint);
> > |	sigaction(SIGQUIT, &sa, &oldquit);
> > |	sigaddset(&sa.sa_mask, SIGCHLD);
> > |	sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, &sa.sa_mask, &old);
> > |
> > |	sigemptyset(&reset);
> > |	if (oldint.sa_handler != SIG_IGN) sigaddset(&reset, SIGINT);
> > |	if (oldquit.sa_handler != SIG_IGN) sigaddset(&reset, SIGQUIT);
> > |	posix_spawnattr_init(&attr);
> > |	posix_spawnattr_setsigmask(&attr, &old);
> > |	posix_spawnattr_setsigdefault(&attr, &reset);
> > |	posix_spawnattr_setflags(&attr, POSIX_SPAWN_SETSIGDEF|POSIX_SPAWN_SETSIGMASK);
> > |	ret = posix_spawn(&pid, "/bin/sh", 0, &attr,
> > |		(char *[]){"sh", "-c", (char *)cmd, 0}, __environ);
> > |	posix_spawnattr_destroy(&attr);
> > |
> > |	if (!ret) while (waitpid(pid, &status, 0)<0 && errno == EINTR);
> > |	sigaction(SIGINT, &oldint, NULL);
> > |	sigaction(SIGQUIT, &oldquit, NULL);
> > |	sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, &old, NULL);
> > |
> > |	if (ret) errno = ret;
> > |	return status;
> > |}
> >
> > Aren't all of those calls namespace violations? system() is an ISO-C
> > function, so the only symbols it is allowed to pull into the link are
> > other ISO-C functions or hidden double-underscore symbols, right? But
> > all the functions called here POSIX functions. And while POSIX contains
> > the rule that posix_* functions are reserved, that is in POSIX, not
> > ISO-C. And even with that rule, there are all the other calls.
> >
> > Does someone need to pour out a bucket of underscores over this
> > function?
>
> The behavior of system() is implementation-defined, so we define it as
> calling those functions. :-)

To elaborate:

    "If string is a null pointer, the system function determines
    whether the host environment has a command processor. If string is
    not a null pointer, the system function passes the string pointed
    to by string to that command processor to be executed in a manner
    which the implementation shall document; this might then cause the
    program calling system to behave in a non-conforming manner or to
    terminate."

The manner in which we pass the string to a command processor to be
executed is via calls to external identifiers defined by POSIX.

Even if this sounds like a silly way to be "technically conforming",
it's really not. The semantics of calling system() are completely
unspecified without assuming POSIX or some other specification beyond
just plain C, so there's no reasonable way a C program running on top
of the implementation can call system() without further assumptions
about the implementation (e.g. that it's implementing POSIX).