Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 15:39:57 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: Robert Clausecker <fuz@....su>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: getpwuid() calls getline() which may be redefined

On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 06:50:06PM +0200, Robert Clausecker wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm the maintainer of schilytools [1], a suite of tools including
> cdrecord, mkisofs, star, smake, and others.  To produce Linux
> binary releases for our users, I investigated building static
> binaries with musl and found that the star command experienced
> problems [3]: when built with
>
>     smake LINKMODE=static LDOPTX=-static INS_RBASE=/opt/schily SHLIB_BUILD=\#
>
> the program hangs reading from stdin.  With the help of psykose
> from your IRC channel, we found that this is due to getpwuid()
> calling getline(), a symbol which this program uses for a custom
> function with a POSIX-incompatible signature.  This use of the
> getline() symbol dates back to UNOS [2], an early UNIX close.
>
> We'll try to work around this issue, likely by renaming our
> getline() to something else.  I have filed this bug report with
> you so you may decide if you wish to route the getline() call
> through an internal symbol alias, proofing your library against
> incompatible external redefinitions.

Thanks for the report. getline has been POSIX for 15 years now, and we
don't aim for namespace-conformance to non-latest versions of the
standard. Namespace-guarded symbols are only used where we want to
implement one function in terms of another whose name isn't reserved
under the same standards-profile. Just renaming the function on the
application side to bring it up to modern standards is the right fix
here. (And it's good to hear somebody's still maintaining Schilly's
stuff!)