Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 04:18:30 +0200 (CEST)
From: shawnlandden@...anota.com
To: Musl <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Running FDPIC binaries in the same memory space as the caller.

I am not really in the mood to sell all the benifits of doing this---but dpkg felt obligated to support all the nonstandard comoressors APIs of compressors that all supported the standard gzip interface, because of a percieved slowness of the 386's MMU. Now that we have FDPIC binaries that run both with and without a MMU this is no longer an excuse to be weird.

But I do think it would be easiest to do this, without any changes to the compilers (or god-forbid the c standard), by making stdin stdout and stderr (always been 0 1 and 2) stored in thread-local storage.

But supporting that instead of just 0 1 and 2 would only be necessary for using the c abi (which is not UNIX!) at the same time as the shell api. Otherwise Linux can handle it.

Sorry for not selling this like soap,

Shawn Paul Landden
Content of type "text/html" skipped