Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 21:26:05 -0800
From: Ralph Little <skelband@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [BUG] ioctl: overflow in implicit constant conversion

Hi,
I have been picking up some old pending issues related to the SANE project.
One of our CI builds is on Alpine and it is generating warnings for
ioctl() calls from the musl library:

|error: overflow in conversion from 'long unsigned int' to 'int' changes
value from '2147577985' to '-2147389311' [-Werror=overflow]

||ioctl (fd, PPRSTATUS, &status);

||I see that Olaf Meeuwissen raised this issue a couple of years ago and
the discussion petered out somewhat and I don't believe that the issue
was ever really resolved:

https://www.openwall.com/lists/musl/2020/01/20/2

Is there any possibility that this could be addressed in the near future?
I see that Alpine have closed their issue and are not interested in
patching their downstream musl:

https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/issues/7580#note_287168

Cheers,
Ralph Little