Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:07:00 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: Alexander Monakov <amonakov@...ras.ru>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com, David Wang <00107082@....com>
Subject: Re: qsort

On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 04:17:05PM +0300, Alexander Monakov wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2023, Rich Felker wrote:
>
> > Mergesort is simply not a candidate unless there's a way to make
> > in-place merge practical, but as I understand it that's prohibitively
> > costly, and I've never really seen a comprehensible implementation
> > that was convincingly correct. If I'm wrong on this and it is doable,
> > we could consider that.
>
> *** gestures at https://www.openwall.com/lists/musl/2014/09/01/2

Thank you for reminding me of this. I had completely forgotten it. I
think I had some confusion over the performance figures that, glancing
at it now, might have been the exact same sort of "memcpy vs inline
swap" issue we've been discussing in this thread. I'm also not sure if
the bugs mentioned later in the thread were ever resolved.

I really do like the size and "simplicity" of the code, and I'm
optimistic that this might be the path to try taking for getting qsort
performance more comparable to other implementations.