Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 23:27:05 +0200
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com, Alexey Izbyshev <izbyshev@...ras.ru>
Subject: Re: Illegal killlock skipping when transitioning to
 single-threaded state

* Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net> [2022-10-03 15:26:15 +0200]:

> * Alexey Izbyshev <izbyshev@...ras.ru> [2022-10-03 09:16:03 +0300]:
> > >
> > > I think this all sounds correct. I'm not sure what you mean by a store
> > > barrier between them, since all lock and unlock operations are already
> > > full barriers.
> > >

> > Before sending the report I tried to infer the intended ordering semantics
> > of LOCK/UNLOCK by looking at their implementations. For AArch64, I didn't
> > see why they would provide a full barrier (my reasoning is below), so I
> > concluded that probably acquire/release semantics was intended in general
> > and suggested an extra store barrier to prevent hoisting of "libc.need_locks
> > = -1" store spelled after UNLOCK(E->killlock) back into the critical
> > section.
> >
> > UNLOCK is implemented via a_fetch_add(). On AArch64, it is a simple
> > a_ll()/a_sc() loop without extra barriers, and a_ll()/a_sc() are implemented
> > via load-acquire/store-release instructions. Therefore, if we consider a
> > LOCK/UNLOCK critical section containing only plain loads and stores, (a) any
> > such memory access can be reordered with the initial ldaxr in UNLOCK, and
> > (b) any plain load following UNLOCK can be reordered with stlxr (assuming
> > the processor predicts that stlxr succeeds), and further, due to (a), with
> > any memory access inside the critical section. Therefore, UNLOCK is not full
> > barrier. Is this right?
>
> i dont think this is right.

i think i was wrong and you are right.

so with your suggested swap of UNLOCK(killlock) and need_locks=-1 and
starting with 'something == 0' the exiting E and remaining R threads:

E:something=1      // protected by killlock
E:UNLOCK(killlock)
E:need_locks=-1

R:LOCK(unrelated)  // reads need_locks == -1
R:need_locks=0
R:UNLOCK(unrelated)
R:LOCK(killlock)   // does not lock
R:read something   // can it be 0 ?

and here something can be 0 (ie. not protected by killlock) on aarch64
because

T1
	something=1
	ldaxr ... killlock
	stlxr ... killlock
	need_locks=-1

T2
	x=need_locks
	ldaxr ... unrelated
	stlxr ... unrelated
	y=something

can end with x==-1 and y==0.

and to fix it, both a_fetch_add and a_cas need an a_barrier.

i need to think how to support such lock usage on aarch64
without adding too many dmb.