Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 09:53:45 -0400
From: James Y Knight <jyknight@...gle.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>, baiyang <baiyang@...il.com>
Subject: Re: The heap memory performance (malloc/free/realloc) is
 significantly degraded in musl 1.2 (compared to 1.1)

Indeed. RedHat mentioned that problem in their recent post about
_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3, here
https://developers.redhat.com/articles/2022/09/17/gccs-new-fortification-level

"""
_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 revealed another pattern. Applications such as systemd
used malloc_usable_size to determine available space in objects and then
used the residual space. The glibc manual discourages this type of usage,
dictating that malloc_usable_size is for diagnostic purposes only. But
applications use the function as a hack to avoid reallocating buffers when
there is space in the underlying malloc chunk. The implementation of
malloc_usable_size needs to be fixed to return the allocated object size
instead of the chunk size in non-diagnostic use. Alternatively, another
solution is to deprecate the function. But that is a topic for discussion
by the glibc community.
"""

Content of type "text/html" skipped