Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 15:53:30 +0800
From: baiyang <baiyang@...il.com>
To: musl <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: The heap memory performance (malloc/free/realloc) is significantly degraded in musl 1.2 (compared to 1.1)

Hi there,

As we have discussed at https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/issues/10752. The malloc_usable_size() function in musl 1.2 (mallocng) seems to have some performance issues.

It caused realloc and free spends too long time for get the chunk size.

As we mentioned in the discussion, tcmalloc and some other allocators can also accurately obtain the size class corresponding to a memory block and its precise size, and it is also very fast at the same time.

Can we make some improvements to the existing malloc_usable_size algorithm in mallocng? This should significantly improve the performance of existing algorithms.

Thanks :-)

--

   Best Regards
  BaiYang