Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 13:10:17 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: NRK <nrk@...root.org>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: canonicalize_file_name(3)

On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 07:48:33PM +0600, NRK wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 07:30:10PM +0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> > It relies on a glibc extension to realpath(3)
>
> What extension are we talking about exactly?
> Because `man canonicalize_file_name` states the following:
>
> | The call canonicalize_file_name(path) is equivalent to the call:
> |          realpath(path, NULL);
>
> Calling realpath with NULL as the 2nd parameter is well defined since
> POSIX-2008 [0], if that's what you were talking about.
>
> [0]: https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/realpath.html

This. To further elaborate, we generally don't add nonstandard
functions when there is a fully portable (or even just "at least as
portable as the extension" i.e. "works everywhere the extension would
have worked") way to do exactly the same thing that takes no effort
for the affected software to fix and do right.