Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 23:55:07 +0000 (UTC)
From: "Mike Z.Vand" <anonlth@...oo.com>
To: "musl@...ts.openwall.com" <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Reverting a GCC bug workaround commit from 8 years ago

Hi,
I was following down a rabbit hole, investigating a weird WebAssembly code generation from wasi-libc, when I saw these strange volatile attributes for some pointers in stdio source code. As it happens, it was a GCC bug workaround that was introduced around 8 years ago (commit a6adb2bcd8145353943377d6119c1d7a4242bae1 work around constant folding bug 61144 in gcc 4.9.0 and 4.9.1).
As comment explained this commit could be "reconsidered and possibly reverted at some point in the future when the broken gcc versions are no longer relevant".
I very much hope it is the time we can revert this and give the compiler more wiggle room to do its thing and have less volatile keywords here and there for healthier looking code overall.
Thank you so much for all the work that has been done on musl.Mike

Content of type "text/html" skipped