Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 11:15:48 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@...il.com>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com, Markus Geiger <markus.geiger@...lsen.com>
Subject: Re: [BUG] Non-FQDN domain resolving failure on musl-1.2.x

On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 11:10:37AM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 10:59 AM Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 12:28:24PM +0200, Markus Geiger wrote:
> > > Hej!
> > >
> > > First, I love MUSL (and alpine linux). Great project!
> > >
> > > We encountered a bug in our CI pipeline using alpine images in conjunction
> > > with AWS DNS servers - and it seems to be related to MUSL:
> > >
> > > $ curl -fsSL https://slack.com
> > > curl: (6) Could not resolve host: slack.com
> > >
> > > Usually that should return some HTML. It seems to affect only non-FQDN
> > > domains. As a workaround we use now full FQDN api.slack.com. But there is a
> > > bug in resolvement! It seems if an AAAA domain is queried over an IPV4
> > > IP/DNS and doesn’t not return a record the overall resolvement of the
> > > domain fails.
> >
> > That's not non-FQDN. Non-FQDN would be "api" as short for
> > api.slack.com. slack.com is just the apex of a zone, but there's
> > nothing special about that for resolving; it's likely just a
> > difference in the records for it vs api, or something fishy the
> > recursive nameserver you're using is doing...
>
> +1.
>
> A FQDN ends in '.' (dot). The dot specifies the root of the DNS tree.
> 'slack.com.' is fully qualified, but 'slack.com' is not. If you are
> configured to search with domain suffixes, 'slack.com' could resolve
> to 'slack.com.home.pvt' because it is not fully qualified.

While this is pedantically correct in some usage, it's not really the
issue at hand here. In ordinary usage, most folks call a domain you
just *intend* to be interpreted from the DNS root a FQDN, regardless
of whether it has a dot to express that. But in any case, the point
was that the issue is not a matter of FQDNs but of something wrong
Amazon's nameservers are apparently doing (again?? *headdesk*). Let's
see if we can figure out what and how to get them to fix it...