Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 10:36:46 +0200
From: Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...nel.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Marc Zyngier <maz@...nel.org>, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	linux-arch <linux-arch@...r.kernel.org>,
	Palmer Dabbelt <palmer@...belt.com>, Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@...nel.org>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>, Huacai Chen <chenhuacai@...ngson.cn>,
	WANG Xuerui <kernel@...0n.name>, libc-alpha@...rceware.org,
	Ard Biesheuvel <ardb@...nel.org>, ACPI Devel Maling List <linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-pci <linux-pci@...r.kernel.org>, "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@...nel.org>,
	Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@...gle.com>
Subject: Re: Re: [GIT PULL] asm-generic changes for 5.19

On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 8:28 AM Huacai Chen <chenhuacai@...nel.org> wrote:
> On Sun, May 29, 2022 at 9:21 PM Marc Zyngier <maz@...nel.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 May 2022 12:24:29 +0100, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...nel.org> wrote:
> >
> > I'd tend to agree. But if on the other hand the userspace ABI is
> > clearly defined, I think it could make sense to go for it (if I
> > remember well, we merged arm64 without any support irqchip support,
> > and the arm64 GIC support appeared later in the game).
> (adding linux-pci and linux-acpi maintainers to Cc)
>
> I'd like to confirm the review status of the respective LoongArch
> patchsets ([1], [2]), to see if we can make it into this merge window.

In the meantime, can you rebase the tree once more to split out the
driver patches and make sure the architecture port without the drivers
still builds cleanly (at least defconfig and allmodconfig) using the compiler
from [1]? If this requires additional patches, please add them on top.

Once that is done, we can ask Linus to consider merging the branch
for the architecture port, while you keep working with the pci and irqchip
maintainers to merge the drivers either for 5.19 or a future release.

While this means merging a branch that does not actually work on any
hardware by itself, it should be sufficient for the libc patches to
consider the ABI stable, and it is consistent with how we keep
CPU architecture support separate from platform driver support
elsewhere.

       Arnd

[1] https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/tools/crosstool/files/bin/x86_64/12.1.0/x86_64-gcc-12.1.0-nolibc-loongarch64-linux.tar.xz