Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 14:28:09 +0800
From: Huacai Chen <chenhuacai@...nel.org>
To: Marc Zyngier <maz@...nel.org>
Cc: Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...nel.org>, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	linux-arch <linux-arch@...r.kernel.org>,
	Palmer Dabbelt <palmer@...belt.com>, Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@...nel.org>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>, Huacai Chen <chenhuacai@...ngson.cn>,
	WANG Xuerui <kernel@...0n.name>, libc-alpha@...rceware.org, musl@...ts.openwall.com,
	Ard Biesheuvel <ardb@...nel.org>, ACPI Devel Maling List <linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-pci <linux-pci@...r.kernel.org>, "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@...nel.org>,
	Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@...gle.com>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] asm-generic changes for 5.19

On Sun, May 29, 2022 at 9:21 PM Marc Zyngier <maz@...nel.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 May 2022 12:24:29 +0100,
> Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...nel.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 5:00 PM Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...nel.org> wrote:
> > > - A series to add a generic ticket spinlock that can be shared by most
> > >   architectures with a working cmpxchg or ll/sc type atomic, including
> > >   the conversion of riscv, csky and openrisc. This series is also a
> > >   prerequisite for the loongarch64 architecture port that will come as
> > >   a separate pull request.
> >
> > An update on Loongarch: I was originally planning to  send Linus a
> > pull request with
> > the branch with the contents from
> >
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/chenhuacai/linux-loongson.git/log/?h=loongarch-next
> >
> > but I saw that this includes both the architecture code and some
> > device drivers (irqchip, pci, acpi) that are essential for the
> > kernel to actually boot. At least the irqchip driver has not passed
> > review because it uses a nonstandard way to integrate into ACPI, and
> > the PCI stuff may or may not be ready but has no Reviewed-by or
> > Acked-by tags from the maintainers. I clearly don't want to bypass
> > the subsystem maintainers on those drivers by sending a pull request
> > for the current branch.
>
> It seems that there is now a new contributor on the irqchip front, and
> the current approach *should* be better than the "copy MIPS and run"
> approach that was previously taken. I'm still to find time to review
> the new series (I just came back from a week off), but hopefully next
> week.
>
> > My feeling is that there is also no point in merging a port without
> > the drivers as it cannot work on any hardware. On the other hand,
> > the libc submissions (glibc and musl) are currently blocked while
> > they are waiting for the kernel port to get merged.
>
> I'd tend to agree. But if on the other hand the userspace ABI is
> clearly defined, I think it could make sense to go for it (if I
> remember well, we merged arm64 without any support irqchip support,
> and the arm64 GIC support appeared later in the game).
(adding linux-pci and linux-acpi maintainers to Cc)

Hi Bjorn and Rafael,

I'd like to confirm the review status of the respective LoongArch
patchsets ([1], [2]), to see if we can make it into this merge window.

Specifically:

I'd like to confirm with Bjorn, if the PCI patches are in a reasonable
shape and can get an Acked-by.

And Rafael: would you sync with the ACPICA repos to bring in the
LoongArch changes upstreamed there?

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-pci/20220430084846.3127041-1-chenhuacai@loongson.cn/T/#t
[2]: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-acpi/20220306111838.810959-1-chenhuacai@loongson.cn/T/#t

Thanks,