Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 16:07:29 -0700
From: "Gary E. Miller" <gem@...lim.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: *strerror_r() bug in musl

Yo Rich!

On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 18:58:43 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:

> > > If you're using __GLIBC__ to work around an intentional glibc
> > > nonconformance issue, that's reasonable usage of it and part of
> > > the way they intend for you to be able to use it.
> >
> > So you intend for me to use __GLIBC__, for something I'm not sure
> > about, when __GLIBC__ is not part of your package or defined in your
> > doc?
>
> It's not part of our documentation because it has nothing to do with
> musl. As far as I can tell, you're only perceiving it as being
> "something about musl" because glibc is the frame of reference you're
> used to.

Uh, I was not the one that brought up __GLIBC__.  I always considered
it out of scope here in musl-land.

> > > - Using standard macros provided by the implementation that
> > > describe interfaces available: good.
> >
> > Except, musl does not provide any?  Or did I miss something?
>
> The macros from unistd.h declare conformance to the standards and
> which option groups are provided.

I just compared musl unistd.h to glibc unistd.h.  glibc has
many more standards handled than just POSIX.

But don't fix that on my account, I'm just saying...

> There is a proposal for extending this system with information about
> extensions that aren't standardized, that was discussed on the
> libc-coord mailing list, but it never really moved forward.

Then we are now on the same page here.  "unimplemented" but might be
nice.

RGDS
GARY
	gem@...lim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588