Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 23:32:07 +0000
From: naruto canada <narutocanada@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: these 2 patches might be useful for "private" use

hi

I have kept these 2 patches for many years.
I use them daily for many years.
They enable "implied" wildcard interpretation of /etc/hosts.
I am not asking for them to be included into musl,
because they have no safety check, and code quality
sadly lacking too. However, they are good for private use.
I share them with musl community and release them into public.
Since /etc/hosts is mostly admin's responsibility, and should not
be writable by user programs, it should be ok if read only.

for example:
cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 adservice.google.com
127.0.0.1 doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 facebook.com
127.0.0.1 facebook.net
127.0.0.1 google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 googleadservices.com
127.0.0.1 googleapis.com
127.0.0.1 googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 googletagmanager.com
127.0.0.1 googletagservices.com
127.0.0.1 googleusercontent.com
127.0.0.1 somecountry
The above will be interpreted as:
127.0.0.1 *.adservice.google.com
127.0.0.1 *.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 *.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 *.facebook.net
127.0.0.1 *.google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 *.googleadservices.com
127.0.0.1 *.googleapis.com
127.0.0.1 *.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 *.googletagmanager.com
127.0.0.1 *.googletagservices.com
127.0.0.1 *.googleusercontent.com
127.0.0.1 *.somecountry

NOTE: max line length is 255 hard coded, you may change that easily.
NOTE: there are many ways to achieve the same result with other tools,
I think of it as one more layer of protection (easier than patching browsers)
NOTE: only works if you compile your user land with musl-libc.

Download attachment "musl-1.1.21.etc.hosts.lookup.patch" of type "application/octet-stream" (2212 bytes)

Download attachment "musl-1.2.2.etc.hosts.lookup.patch" of type "application/octet-stream" (2215 bytes)