Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 06:35:08 +0100
From: Markus Wichmann <nullplan@....net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: musl getaddr info breakage on older kernels

On Sun, Feb 06, 2022 at 06:25:34PM -0500, Satadru Pramanik wrote:
> Does that ring a bell at all? Does it make sense for this to run
> correctly when run with strace (built against glibc) but have problems when
> run w/o strace?

The libc strace is built against should not matter. strace uses a simple
debugger interface to halt the target process at system call boundaries,
and the system call interface does not depend on libc. The only
difference it does make is to the timing, but on a level where it really
should not matter for DNS.

That is, unless docker were to do something weird to the time inside of
the container that somehow is undone by strace running. But I don't know
of any kernel interface that would do that and still leave strace to
function.

Ciao,
Markus